Tuesday, April 15, 2014

M is for Marauder's Map

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."


The Marauder's Map has been my favorite magical item ever since it was first introduced in The Prisoner of Azkaban.  It's so special that it has the high honor of being on my iPhone case, because of all of things I love about the map.

First, it was handed over to Harry by my favorite mischief makers, Fred and George Weasley.
"And you know how to work it?"
"Oh yes," said Fred, smirking.  "This little beauty's taught us more than all the teachers in this school."
"You're winding me up," said Harry, looking at the ragged old bit of parchment. (192)
I was really impressed that Fred and George figured out that the "old bit of parchment" was something much more important, and that they figured out how to use it!
It was a map showing every detail of the Hogwarts castle and grounds.  But the truly remarkable thing were the tiny ink dots moving around it, each labeled with a name in minuscule writing. (193)
As an incredibly useful magical item, especially sneaking around unnoticed, I was also inspired by the fact that the map was created by four former Hogwarts students: Moony, Wormtial, Padfoot, and Prongs.  Of course, later we learn that these masterminds behind the map are none other than Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, Sirius Black, and James Potter.


Beyond the actual capabilities of the map, it is activated and deactivated by my two favorite lines in the Harry Potter series: "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" and

"Mischief managed!"

__________________
Tomorrow's Harry Potter themed A-Z Post is N is for Nine and Three-Quarters!

8 comments:

  1. If I had a map while I was in primary school.....oh my, I would have been expelled within the first day of having it! It's a super fun tool. Very witty and clever of her to put it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Would make school so much fun though... :)

      Delete
  2. love Harry Potter, the map is cool but I also like the Invisible Cloak, very handy for escaping and always provide for suspenseful moments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and it was so fun learning later how special and unique Harry's invisibility cloak was, too!

      I is for Invisibility Cloak

      Delete
  3. I love this post, and I could never decide between the map and the invisibility cloak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd definitely choose the map :) Seems like these are the two people are always choosing between though!

      Delete