Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B is for Butterbeer

The first time Harry sets foot in Diagon Alley, the whole world is new and he is surrounded by fascinating things that all too soon become second nature to him.  At the end of The Sorcerer's Stone, the magic of the world is all but lost on Harry.  


By The Prisoner of Azkaban then, it is refreshing that a new town is introduced: Hogsmeade.  Hermione and Ron return from their first trip bursting with excitement as they describe the places they went: "Dervish and Banges, the wizarding equipment shop, Zonko's Joke Shop, into the Three Broomsticks for foaming mugs of hot butterbeer, and many places besides" (158).
"The post office, Harry! About two hundred owls, all sitting on shelves, all color-coded depending on how fast you want your letter to get there!"  
 "Honeydukes has got a new kind of fudge; they were giving out free samples, there's a bit, look -"
 "We think we saw an ogre, honestly, they get all sorts at the Three Broomsticks -"
 "Wish we could have brought you some butterbeer, really warms you up -" (158)

What is it about butterbeer that Ron and Hermione raving?  When Harry finally visits The Three Broomsticks, he is quick to back up their endorsement of the drink.  "Harry drank deeply.  It was the most delicious thing he'd ever tasted and seemed to heat every bit of him from the inside" (201).



I'm left wondering, what is this drink?  The little description we see is when Ron brings "three foaming tankards of hot butterbeer" to the table (201).

In later books, we learn that house-elfs can get drunk off it and that it is suggested that it may affect wizards in a lesser degree as well.
[Winky] was clutching a bottle of butterbeer and swaying slightly on her stool, staring int the fire.  As they watched her, she gave an enormouse hiccup.
"Winky is getting through six bottles a day now," Dobby whispered to Harry.
 "Well it's not strong, that stuff," Harry said.
But Dobby shook his head. "'Tis strong for a house-elf, sir," he said. (536) 
For anyone who has visited The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, you have probably experienced the non-alcoholic drink based off butterbeer first had!  I however, have not.  Instead, I decided to try out this recipe from Design Dazzle!

Magically Easy Butterbeer Recipe:

Butterbeer:
2 liter cream soda
2 tablespoons Butter extract (I did half of this for a less strong taste)
2 teaspoons rum extract
 (I did half of this for a less strong taste)
*drop the extracts into the 2 liter bottle, put on cap and slowly rotate until combined.

Cream topping:
1 7oz container of marshmallow creme
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon rum extract
*add all items together in an electric mixer and combine until smooth.

Pour the Butterbeer into a glass, drizzle with the cream topping, and enjoy!


My results:

I found the taste with even half the added extracts to be too strong for me still, though my two taste testers who had been to The Wizarding Wold of Harry Potter said it was not as strong at the real stuff.  So perhaps the full recipe is more accurate after all.  


For more cooking, recipes, and food, check out my co-worker Dan's blog Fuel for the Furnace!

And, for more Harry Potter fun, check in here tomorrow for C is for...Chocolate Frogs!

10 comments:

  1. I'm sure making it yourself is the next best think to trying it at the wizarding world! Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure does look good!! I know must try this recipe myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! I hope you like it more than I did ;) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely idea! Harry Potter does have everything from A to Z! I would love to have some Butterbeer but did you find the recipe very convincing?

    The Book Drifter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amrita! I think with more of the flavoring (I only used half) it would have been more convincing. That would've improved the color and made it very strong. Since I wasn't a fan of the flavor though, I doubt I would ever try it again.

      Delete
  4. My niece Jillian, made butter beer for me with cream soda, butterscotch and whipped cream . . . quite tasty and very rich.
    I like this series on Harry Potter. I'm currently on my second "listen" of Jim Dale's readings, and noticing new things . . .
    I’m 12 years older than Harry’s parents . . . James and Lily Potter 1960-1981 — Book 7 would have been 1997?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butterscotch syrup? I have seen recipes that use that, but I was worried about adding all the extra sugar...might have to try that though.

      There is always new things to find!

      Delete
  5. My wife and I honeymooned in England and spent an entire day at the Warner Bros Making of Harry Potter Studio. It was incredible! They had awesome Butterbeer there. Here I am
    with a tasty glass of golden goodness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that would have been an incredible experience! Your official butterbeer is so much darker than my fake kind! I'll have to try the real stuff someday...still working on getting to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Florida! :)

      Delete