Monday, April 7, 2014

F is for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them















If you haven't heard of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, I'm honestly not surprised.  As far as I know it was only mentioned once in the Harry Potter series, on the list of required texts for first year students (The Sorcerer's Stone, 67).  It was written by J.K. Rowling for charity, and it was designed to look like it was one of Harry's textbooks, complete with his notes in the margins.


The big news, though, is that apparently, they're going to make this companion book into THREE MOVIES.  They will be completely separate from the Harry Potter stories, instead following around the "author" of the book, Newt Scamander.

I'm going to be honest, I really wanted to see something else happen with the Harry Potter universe, but this wasn't it.  Granted, this movie poster does look pretty awesome...but I don't believe that there is a movie worth of material, let alone three of them!  The book itself is pretty basic, talking about what beasts are, why they matter, and an A-Z listing of the animals and their classifications.

I will definitely go see the movies when they come out, because yay! Harry Potter!  But I'm really afraid these movies could disappoint fans and tarnish the series' credibility.

What are your thoughts on a Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them film trilogy?

Tomorrow's A to Z topic is Godric's Hollow!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, that is really strange they're going to make THREE movies out of that book. Not that I've read it, but ... my guess is it will just be a loose basis for whatever they put in the movies, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will have to be very loose because the book had no plot. Think animal encyclopedia. I'm quite nervous they will not be up to par...

      Delete
  2. I can't argue with that sweet movie poster... But I feel like they are seriously trying to squeeze the story line now... Three movies!?! Come on.

    Mr.McLovin at Fuel For The Furnace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? But I'll have to see it, so they get their money regardless.

      Delete
  3. Seem to be following the Hobbit and trying to milk us dry for three movie tickets instead of one! My jaded self aside, I like this idea and will certainly be one of those who gets milked for three tickets!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely on board with your jaded self though....three is just kind of a lot for a book that was written with no plot at all.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I think there's definitely a story or 3 there. The adventures of a wizarding zoologist? And who knew he'd be so handsome? I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so! Can't wait to see some previews! :)

      Delete
  5. I guess I can see one movie from this, but three! It will just involve A LOT of new material. I mean, they'll have to create a whole new character and three complete plots! I like beasty fighting, though, so why not, I guess. Better to create something new than totally bungle a great already-written story.
    ~ Amanda @ Books Aplenty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm hoping they know what they're doing with the plot for all three. I hope the CGI is really good too, because it would be miserable if the creatures aren't real enough!

      Delete
  6. I do want the book but I too have my doubts about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is already out! The best part about it for me was Harry, Ron, and Hermione's scribbled notes. The book itself was pretty dry.

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for the follow. I'm following you right back. I'm DYING to see this movie. My daughter graduated with a degree just like yours. Hooray for future writers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I am getting more and more excited. I want previews!

      And good luck to your daughter, I hope she is doing well and was able to find related work (I'm still in the process of that!)

      Delete
  8. LOL I'd not heard of it (but gasp! I've not read the series either lol) But I love the name of that book!

    Happy A to Z-ing!
    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gasp indeed! Thanks for reading - hope it was still interesting even without knowing the context.

      Delete